Dress and Grooming
Our desire to have an excellent school program incorporates all phases of the school experience and includes how our students dress. So that our students will be at their best, we ask that they wear clothes that are modest, functional, clean and in good repair. Uniforms with logos are required at all times, unless otherwise announced.
The following rules should be kept in mind as students prepare for school each day:
- Uniforms Include: Black, navy, or royal blue jackets, hoodies, and polo shirts (long or short sleeve) with school logo; khaki or black uniform style pants, skorts or shorts (approaching the knee). Skirts and jumpers, also approaching the knee, may be worn with opaque leggings, tights, or fitted knee-length shorts. Clothing should be clean and without patches or tears. On Thursdays, jeans and Docker-style pants in good repair may be worn.
- Hair should be neat and clean, free from extreme hair colors or styles. Hats may be worn outside.
- Shoes need to be practical and easy to put on and take off. Sandals with heel straps may be worn. Please, no flip flops. Students must have athletic shoes for PE.
- No nail polish and only natural makeup are acceptable. Bracelets necessary for medical purposes may be worn. All other jewelry needs to be kept at home. HAS chooses this policy to reduce peer pressure among students to wear jewelry at school, thus leaving families free to establish their own guidelines at home.
- No tattoos or other markings on the skin.
Although Christians agree that basic principles such as modesty are important, it is not nearly as easy to agree on how those principles should be applied in a given instance. It should be understood that administration and staff will be the final authority in applying the above standards.